Now that the weather is changing, many of us are heading outside to have some fun or start the home improvement projects that we have been planning for all winter. But before the outdoor fun begins, please remember to do it safely. Every year, more than 60,000 people are treated in emergency rooms for lawn-mower injuries. In 2019, there were 6,100 reported home fires involving gas or charcoal grills leading to $29.1 million in direct property damage, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Be Safe While Having Fun
If you are planning on having some fun this spring, remember these safety tips:
- If you are going on a bike ride, be sure to wear a helmet. Verify that the helmet sits level on top of the head–not rocking in any direction–and always fasten the safety strap.
- When using a barbecue grill, always be sure to leave sufficient space between the grill and your home’s siding and eaves.
- Keep children and pets far away from the grill.
- With gas grills, be sure that the hose connection is tight and check hoses carefully for leaks.
- If you own a pool, install a pool alarm to detect accidental or unauthorized entrance into the water. Always have an adult in the area when children are using the pool. Limit use of alcohol when enjoying your pool.
- It would be a good idea to test all play structures, including tree houses. Check play structures for sharp screws, bolts, or nails. Make sure the swing set is on a level area and the legs are properly anchored.
- Do not leave tools or sharp objects in the back yard.
- Spring is a good time to complete an inspection of all motorized equipment to make sure they are in good working order.
- Always wear shoes and long pants when using gardening power tools to protect your legs and feet from flying rocks and debris.
- Never start your projects when you are tried. Fatigue can cause severe injuries with accidental slippage while using a dangerous power tool.
- If you are digging around your yard, confirm that there are no electrical or gas lines in the area.
- Remember that your body may not be used to heat, so if it is hot be careful not to get heat stroke. Hydrate yourself on a regular basis.
Since then, we have grown to become a boutique independent insurance broking and risk management firm, supported by a large panel of national carriers, with clientele throughout the United States.
We occupy the niche between the big national insurance agencies and the typical suburban or captive agency. This makes us the ideal insurance partner for those clients seeking a combination of personal service and technical expertise.
We focus on tailoring innovative insurance solutions for clients who require more than “off the shelf” financial services.
As a full-service insurance agency, our clients range from large multi-state enterprises, to small and medium business, along with residential home, scheduled personal property, auto, liability umbrellas and all other ancillary personal insurance products.
When you form a relationship with Neate Dupey, you can rest assured knowing you will always be treated as an important client, and that your business or family’s future will be fully protected.
We look forward to speaking with you and assisting you with your insurance and risk management requirements